F & Q

What are the dates for the International Pre-Collegiate Program?
International Pre-Collegiate Program participants choose from courses offered in Session C and Session D.

What grade do I have to be in to participate?
You are eligible if you have completed 10th grade by the start of program and be 16 years of age by June 19, 2017.

If I am graduating from high school in the summer of 2016, am I eligible to participate in this program?
Yes, students who are currently enroll in 12th grade are eligible for the International Pre-Collegiate program.

What else is required as part of my application?
In addition to the online application, you must submit an official transcript of all your high school course work (through the fall semester preceding your application) and a letter of recommendation from your high school teacher or guidance counselor.

How many courses may I take?
A summer sessions course is an accelerated version of a 16-week semester course. We advise that you take no more than 2 courses.

When does the application open?
Applications are available online beginning December 1st.

Is there an application deadline?
We recommend that you register no later than December 31, 2016. Please keep in mind that all courses and the program are offered on a first-come, first-served basis.

Who can write my letter of recommendation?
Your letter should be written by someone who knows your academic background and progress, usually a teacher (preferably someone in the area of your summer course of study) or a counselor.

Is there a form or template for the letter of recommendation?
No. Usually the teacher or counselor will know what details to include.

How do I send my transcript and letter?
Please email your transcript and letter to us. No paper materials will be required unless you receive specific request from us.

How much does the International Pre-Collegiate program cost?
Please refer to our payment details.

When do I pay my fees?
Please refer to our payment policy.

Is scholarship available?
No. we do not offer any scholarships during the summer.

When will I find out if I was accepted to the program?
We review applications in the order they are received. We will update you with your application status within 5 business days of your application date.

How do I know which books I need for my class?
You can check the course website or contact the professors for the book list.

May I change or drop my course/s after I have enrolled and paid?
Yes. You may change the courses in which you are enrolled. However, you have to maintain at least 5 units to be a full-time student. For 8 weeks (Session C) students, it has to be 6 units.

Do the units I earn from the Summer Session apply to my high school GPA?
Because these are college courses/units, as a rule, these courses do not apply towards your high school requirements, AP credit, or GPA. For the most accurate answer, check with your school’s college counselor. Upon successful completion of your course(s), you will receive college credit at UC Berkeley, which you can submit when you are completing college applications.

Where will I live during the program?
You will live in a dormitory with other IPCP students. There will also be residence advisors there to supervise students and handle any disagreements that may come up. We will also have staff living nearby the dormitory.

Will you have “light-out” policy?
Yes, our staff will live nearby the dormitory and will do roll-call every single night at around 9:00 PM.

Who should I contact in the case of emergency?
If you are in the dormitory, you should contact the RA first, then our staff living nearby. If you are out of the dormitory, you should contact our staff directly.

Are there special activities offered through the International Pre-Collegiate Program?
Yes. Some of the workshops and activities available are: “How to Choose a College,” “Writing a Successful College Application”, “Writing a Successful Personal Statement” , and “College Life Q & A.” We will also organize weekend activities such as field trips and city tours. After the end of the sessions, there is also a trip to Los Angeles.

How long will it take until I receive my official transcript in the mail?
The Office of the Registrar begins mailing the official summer sessions transcripts around the second week of September. We update you once we receive the transcript and will mail it to you.

Can I use B-1/B-2 Visa I currently have to enter the United States and attend the International Pre-Collegiate Program?
No, all the international students must go to their local US Embassy to obtain a F-1 student Visa with a Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 visa document) that will be provided to you by Berkeley Summer Sessions.

Why do I need to meet the English Proficiency Requirement (EPR) before I attend the International Pre-Collegiate Program?The English Proficiency Requirement (EPR) is to evaluate the English proficiency of students whose native language is not English and who want to enroll in regular UC Berkeley Summer Sessions courses. These requirements ensure that students will be able to understand and communicate successfully in an English-speaking environment.

Is there a way to waive the English Proficiency Requirement (EPR)?
Yes, waivers can be requested if any of the following criteria apply:
1. You reside in a country where English is the primary or official language.
2. You currently attend a university where English is the language of instruction for the majority of courses taught.
3. You have attended schools at the secondary level (high school) or above for at least three years full-time where English is the principal language of instruction (as in the United States, the United Kingdom, and in some international schools).
4. You are currently studying in an English-speaking country (or has studied in an English-speaking country) for at least one academic year.

Do I need health insurance for the summer?
Yes, health insurance coverage is required for all students. Health insurance policy should cover all medical and hospital costs, or provide you with a minimum of $50,000 (USD) for each accident or illness, have a deductible of $500 or less, and cover at least 75% of hospital and physician costs from the time you leave your current residence to the day you plan to return.
If insurance cannot be purchased before leaving home, information about health insurance enrollment can be obtained from the UHS website.

Do I need to check-in or report to anyone upon arrival?
Yes. All international students studying on a student visa are required to “check-in” with the Berkeley International Office with their passport, and visa documents and proof of health insurance at the beginning of the summer session. The check-in must be done before the end of the first week of classes and before a Cal student ID card is issued.

What benefits will I get from participating in the program?
You will receive the followings after completed the program:
Experience the taste of college life in the beautiful surroundings of UC Berkeley, the world top public university
Build relationship with UC Berkeley faculties, with potential opportunities to earn a letter of recommendation
Earn college credits and UC Berkeley transcript
Attend workshops and receive helpful advices on planning for academic life beyond high school
Make friends with students from other countries around the world
Explore the beautiful San Francisco Bay Area
Visit Los Angeles, play at theme park, and get a chance to visit either UCLA or USC