embARC Summer Design Academy
Are you interested in architecture, urban design and city planning? International Pre-Collegiate Program (IPCP) embARC at UC Berkeley would like to introduce a special summer program which offers students an opportunity to receive college course credits, gain studio experience, enhance their college application and interact with UC Berkeley professors.
IPCP embARC at UC Berkeley is an intensive, four-week summer design academy for high school students held at the College of Environmental Design. embARC brings together students from diverse backgrounds to CED to study architecture, urban design and sustainable city planning through a series of lectures, field trips, and a design:build studio.
The embARC program is comprised of four components — an architecture and urban design studio, a sustainable planning workshop, a lecture series, and a design:build studio — that together provide a comprehensive framework and multi-disciplinary approach to “placemaking.” True to UC Berkeley’s public mission, embARC will include an overall theme of civic responsibility by partnering with a local community organization to tackle an authentic community improvement project. Through this partnership, students will employ the tools they learn in studios, workshops, and lectures to make a difference on real-world community development and design issues. Please visit the embARC website for more details.
Program Time & Admission Requirements
July 5 to 29, 2016 (four weeks)
The following are the minimum eligibility requirements for the program:
- High school students entering their fourth year of high school and exceptional students entering their third year
- GPA of 3.0 or higher
- English proficiency with TOEFL scores (iBT) 80 or IELTS 6.5
- Completed online application with essay
- USD $30 application fee
- High school transcripts that include all grades from 9th grade through the fall semester preceding your application
- Letter of recommendation from a high school guidance counselor, teacher, principal or community leader
Program fee includes
- Room & meals
- Two weekend activities
- Weekday activity
- Group airport pick up from and drop off between UC Berkeley campus and San Francisco International Airport
- Emergency contact
- Chaperone management
- Computer lab fees
- Digital Fabrication Lab and Fabrication Shop fees
- A CalNet ID card for access to all University facilities
- Print card
- Some materials and supplies
- Catered welcome and commencement events
- Transportation to and from site visits
Withdrawal and Refund Policy
Dates and deadlines for 2016 are as follows.
- May 6, 2016: Registration/Payment Deadline for International Students
- May 30, 2016: Deadline for Domestic Students to Request On-Campus Housing
- June 6, 2016: Deadline for Domestic Students to Pay for On-Campus Housing
- June 30, 2016: Cancellation Deadline for 40% Housing Refund
Please visit the embARC deadlines for more details.